January 8, 2019
Members Excused: Andrew Weisensel, Jim Copeland
Opening Prayer/Reading: Erica Silva ... [Luke 3:15-16,1-22]
Approval of Minutes for: Pastoral Council (12/04/18); Parish Life (12/10/18); Finance (11/04/18) – approved as written under Consent Agenda
Commission Reports: None other than those already presented were offered for review.
- Review of sharing ideas from last month’s ‘Parish Community and Socialization’ discussion
- Importance of face-to-face or one-to-one interaction with all parishioners, new and old.
- Need to capitalize, for our parish future, on area’s growing population
- Five years from now we’d like to see:
- A fully engaged mission exchange with our sister parish of Santisimo Sacramento, Piura, Peru.
- Working collaboration with neighboring parishes.
- Find all three of weekly Masses are filled.
- Maintain/grow financial ministry.
- Having our Youth Ministry continue to grow and bloom, hopefully, to become an example to other parishes.
- Need to acquire pictures of each parish member, again, both new and old, to assist in the face-to-face interactions we expect to hold. This will also be quite helpful in assisting in the recognition of older parish members who will have their funerals held at St. James in the future.
Santisimo Sacramento report: In the absence of Andrew, this report will be held until next month’s meeting.
Parish Director’s Report:
- Feedback on revised Mass scheduling for New Years and Solemnity of the Virgin Mary was positive, no negative parishioner comments were reported by Council Members. In the same vein, comments by parishioners, on the lack of a ‘communal’ penance service, were explained and discussed ... although even these comments were more questioning than negative feedback.
- Renovation and feasibility study ... the Archdiocese has approved the submitted proxy to begin the Campaign Fund Drive for the expected renovation of St. James Church.
- James has released the prior realty company of representing us in the attempted sale of the acreage west of 31st St., and has now placed signage indicating that the property is “For Sale by Owner”, as we are not in an immediate urgency, and wish to receive a reasonable not low-ball offer.
- The suggested retreat, to be led by Fr. Tom Sweetser, has been scheduled for 21st, 22nd and 23rd of February. Dan will meet with Fr. Tom on Thursday; Office Staff will meet on Friday at the Sienna Center; and the Pastoral Council meets with him on Saturday at St. James.
- Parish Council Congress is scheduled for February 2, 2019 at the Cousins Center. A number of the PC will attend, as will some Staff and Dan Hull.
Next Agenda/Executive Meeting: 01/22/18; Next Meeting Date: 02/05/18; Reading: Delores Skarban [Luke 5:1-11]; Adjournment: 7:43 PM. Submitted by: Judith Freimark, Secretary